Bicycling from Vancouver to Portland
From Portland Afoot
 Across the I-5 bridge
Riding the narrow and little-used sidewalk along the Interstate Bridge is not the hard part. The hard parts are:
- Finding the path to get on the bridge (it's off Columbia Street just south of the decorated railroad overpass)
- Navigating Hayden Island (follow the signs beneath I-5 and along the sidewalk past Safeway and Hooters)
- Navigating the cloverleaf south of the Columbia Slough (from Vancouver to the Expo Center MAX station, turn left, then right; from Vancouver to the Delta Park MAX station, turn left, then left)
As of July 2010, Google Maps bicycle directions seem to be safe and accurate. To get a sense of what the route looks like, see this four-minute video produced by the Bike Temple. You can also follow along on this map produced by Portland Afoot.
- Bike Temple video
- Map, by Portland Afoot, to accompany video
- standard Google Maps bicycling directions
Did you find this page useful? Could it get better? You're meeting Portland Afoot in its toddlerhood! You can help build this free online guide to low-car life in PDX by clicking "edit" in the right sidebar and adding what you know. Or just leave your questions or ideas below. Thanks for visiting!