Portland Afoot is going to host a free, live, freewheeling public transit mystery adventure game on Saturday, May 4 (two weeks from today). More than 60 teams have registered, and there aren’t too many slots left.
It’s called Who Whacked Ms. Faire LeSquare? and we’re very, very excited.
Using instructions distributed through Portland Afoot’s new free mobile edition for smartphones, teams of 3 to 5 players will be assigned to smuggle cargo across town using the bus system, paddle across the Willamette and track nine shady characters through the mean streets of PDX.
As I’m typing, three teams are on the street for an all-day playtest.
Each team will need at least one smartphone (Android or iPhone).
You can read all about it (and preregister) here. Preregistration is free, but required because space is limited.
To play, you’ll need to secure a password. Finding a password will require cleverness.
If you follow Portland Afoot on social media or subscribe to our magazine, you’ve probably caught wind of the game already. But you haven’t seen the prize list yet:
- A free one-year TriMet pass for a random player whose team completes the five basic quests and gets to our afterparty at Velo Cult by 4:45 p.m.
- For the top-scoring team: a one-year membership to the Bike Farm for each player; 60 free minutes from car2go for each player; a round of free tacos and drinks at Por Que No; a round of locally roasted coffee from Oblique Coffee Roasters; a free Portland Walking Tour for two; Grand Central Bakery’s loaf of the month for a year; and a free one-month soupscription to Soup Cycle for whomever you choose as your MVP.
- For the second-scoring team: two $75 Zipcertificates, two New Seasons gift cards and a Whole Coconut Cream Pie from Random Order.
- For the third-scoring team: gift cards for St. Honore Bakery, New Cascadia Bakery and Seven Virtues.
- For the team that shares the coolest photo of the day: a Portland Bridge notecard set from Bikeasaurus, eight free loaves and coffee from Pearl Bakery and a free round at Por Que No.
- For the team that finishes all five tasks first (clearly caffeine lovers): a gift basket from Boyd Coffee Company.
- For the team that finishes all five tasks last (clearly in need of good caffeine): a free round at Oblique Coffee Roasters.
- For the nicest team: a month’s supply of KIND Bars for each member.
Finally, everyone whose team completes the five basic tasks and can show valid transit fare at the afterparty will get a free lifetime car2go membership and a free alcoholic or nonalcoholic beverage.
Happy third birthday, Portland Afoot.